The George

The George, situated in the heart of Crewkerne, has provided travellers with a warm welcome, comfortable bed and much needed refreshment for over 400 years. The current owner Frank Joyce, purchased The George in 1994, and proudly continues the tradition whilst improving facilities to meet the requirements of the modern traveller.

An Inn named in honour of the Patron Saint of England stood at the centre of Crewkerne since at least 1541. The present building dates from 1832. The facade of its neo-classical structure is built in traditional dressed hamstone. Its noble architectural features include a central open-pediment of brackets and a fine elliptical rustic archway, leading to what was once the Inn's Royal Mail-warranted stable yard.

Having been recognised coach stage as early as 1580, the George was acquired in 1619 by Thomas Hutchings, Postmaster of Crewkerne. Mr Hutchings is credited with having created the first profitable postal service in Britain, between London and Exeter.